Dojo Code Of Conduct
The Code of Conduct is in place as guidance for Instructors, students, parents/support staff, on the expected behaviour and standards to be met whilst training, competing or any other activity under the banner of Lee Taylor Karate.
1. The discipline and teamwork required in order to excel at karate promote values that are traditional to the sport and an example for life - excellence, fairness, integrity, mutual respect and individual responsibility.
2. Instructors, students, and support staff representing Lee Taylor Karate must continue to uphold these values both inside and outside of the dojo, be exemplary role models for others in our sport and do nothing in or out of uniform, on or off the mat that would bring our sport, our clubs into disrepute. We should treat everyone with respect, fairly and without discrimination with regard to disability, language, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
GENERAL DOJO RULES FOR STUDENTS.
- Students should arrive at least 10 minutes before the session starts and give their names in to the Instructor, pay their training fee (when required), then place their coats, footwear and drinks at the side of the hall.
- Where applicable, all non members, including parents and younger family members, are welcome to sit on the chairs, provided children are kept quiet and they do not distract the students from their training.
- All members must show respect by bowing whenever entering or leaving the Dojo.
- All students must wear a clean white gi (suit), beginners without suits should have loose fitting trousers (track suit bottoms) and a t-shirt. Rings, Necklaces and Football shirts are not permitted.
- If you are late for your lesson, sit in seiza at the side of the hall until called onto the floor by an instructor
- During the lesson do not talk. Please make sure that all mobile phones are turned off.
- Where applicable during breaks in the lesson students are allowed drinks, however these should not be fizzy drinks, and do not walk around with drinks in your hand.
- Food is not allowed in the hall. Take all empty bottles and rubbish out with you.
- Where a cross over time between sessions exists, students should leave quietly and quickly.
- Parents dropping off and picking up children should not leave until their children have booked in at the hall, and should arrive back at the hall at least ten minutes before the lesson ends.
- Children should not leave the hall at any time without permission of one of the instructors, and should not leave at the end of the lesson unless a parent or guardian is there to pick them up.
- Do not make excessive noise when outside the hall, students should always have a coat over their gi when walking to and from the hall.
- All students should be in possession of a karate license before taking their first grading.
- Certain behavior standards are expected outside as well as inside the club. Any complaints from members of the public or from schools about students will be investigated by Lee Taylor Karate, if bullying or using karate skills for the wrong means is the cause the student could be expelled and all grades rescinded.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR CLUB OFFICIALS AND VOLUNTEERS
The essence of good ethical conduct and practice is summarised below.
All volunteers must:
- Consider the wellbeing and safety of participants before the development of performance.
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants, based on mutual trust and respect.
- Make sure all activities are appropriate to the age, ability and experience of those taking part.
- Promote the positive aspects of the sport (eg fair play).
- Display consistently high standards of behaviour and appearance.
- Follow all guidelines laid down by the national governing body and the club.
- Hold appropriate valid qualifications and insurance cover.
- Never exert undue influence over performers to obtain personal benefit or reward.
- Never condone rule violations, rough play or the use of prohibited substances.